Q: How is LAPS different from the BC SPCA?
A: The BC SPCA is responsible for enforcing the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (PCA Act) throughout British Columbia. The PCA Act addresses issues of animal welfare and animal care. BC SPCA Animal Protection Officers (APO) are Special Provincial Constables and have a large scope of authority. LAPS enforces the Animal Control Bylaw in both the City and the Township of Langley. The Animal Control Bylaw addresses issues of dog and large animal control and licensing with the focus on public safety. LAPS Animal Control Officers (ACO) are Bylaw Enforcement Officers and work with BC SPCA APOs to educate pet owners about responsible animal stewardship.

Q: I need to find a new home for my pet. Can LAPS help?
A: LAPS encourages owners needing to re-home their pets to consult with family and friends prior to surrendering to a shelter. Living in a shelter can be very stressful and it is often easier for the animal to be placed directly into a new home. If re-homing your pet through friends and family is not an option, LAPS will take in owner surrenders. Not all animals are accepted, so owners must apply to surrender. Please do not bring your pet to the shelter unless an appointment has been made for an assessment or your animal has been accepted. Surrendering animals is limited to Langley residents only and a limited number of surrenders per household is permitted.

Q: I have found a loose dog in my neighbourhood. What should I do?
A: Call our office at 604-857-5055 and a LAPS Animal Control Officer will come as soon as possible to pick up the dog.

Q: There is a loose cat in my neighbourhood. What should I do?
A: Cats are not required to be contained or kept on a leash like dogs, so LAPS will not pick up the cat. However, if you are able to read a tattoo (a letter and number code) in the right ear, you can contact LAPS with that information and our staff may be able to trace the owner.

Q: I have lost my dog or cat in the Langley area. What should I do?
A: Please contact LAPS as soon as possible at 604-857-5055. Read our Lost Pet section for more information.

Q: What happens to all the loose dogs that LAPS collects?
A: Approximately 80% of the loose dogs are returned to their original owners within 48 hours – that is why it is so important to contact LAPS if you have lost or found a dog. Dogs that are not claimed are held for 7 days and then undergo both a medical and behavioural assessment to make sure that they are healthy and safe to re-home into the community.

Q: Is LAPS a “No Kill Shelter”?
A: Yes. LAPS believes that a “no kill shelter” is a safe place where stray dogs can be housed on a short term basis before they are either returned home or adopted into permanent homes. LAPS believes that dogs should not be euthanized for space, age or length of stay reasons. However, LAPS also believes that animals that are dangerous or medically untreatable should not be re-homed. LAPS believes that shelters and societies have a responsibility to ensure that animals that are re-homed are safe and will be welcome in the community.

Q: How many dogs and cats does LAPS care for each year?
A: Approximately 1000 dogs and 400 cats are cared for by LAPS staff and volunteers each year.

Q: How can I get involved and make a difference to help animals in my community?
A: You can make a difference in many ways. If you have a pet, make sure that you care for it by providing good quality food, a safe and comfortable environment, exercise and lots of social contact. If you would like to volunteer your time and are over 16, please view the volunteer section on this website or contact the shelter for more information.

Q: Can I get my cat or dog treated at the LAPS Shelter?
A: Not at this time. LAPS doesn’t have a veterinarian on staff. If you need assistance in finding a vet, please contact our office and we may be able to provide you with a list of local clinics.

Q: What should I feed my dog or cat?
A: A high quality diet is important for the growth, development and maintenance of your four-legged friend. Animals of different breeds, age and activity level will have different nutritional needs. Talk to the staff at pet supply store in your community to find a food that works for you and your pet.

Q: Can I make a donation to LAPS?
A: Yes! We are a registered non-profit charitable society and depend on your generosity to help the stray, lost and abandoned dogs and cats in the Langley community. You can donate online, by phone, in person or by mail. Donors who give more than $20 will receive a free one year LAPS membership and a tax receipt.